DIET MASTERS

DIETMASTERS


MY YEARS AS A FOOD ADDICT

I was a heavy eater by the time I was 5 years old, only it was called a "healthy appetite" in those days, and they called me cute and chubby. By the time I was 18 I was a compulsive overeater. At 5'6", my weight ranged between 125 to 149, but only because I spent part of almost every month on some diet or another. I must have gained and lost more than 500 pounds on various crash diets before I turned 40.I could eat 3 half gallons of ice cream a week and 3 candy bars at the movies. At my favorite Oriental buffet I would start with 6 egg rolls and fill my plate (and myself) so much that the owners lost money. No matter what diet I tried, I dreamed of my next “fix”… boxes of cookies, bags of potato chips or maybe a whole pizza.I’ve always been an upbeat person with a good marriage, two children, and close friends, but on my 40th birthday I was feeling depressed. I took a walk on the beach and realized that my compulsive eating had to stop. I decided that I wanted peace more than pizza and vowed to put my extensive dieting knowledge to work. I re-read all of my material on the subject and designed a way of eating that would satisfy me and finally curb my appetite. My determination paid off in spades and changed my life. The numbers on the scale remained below 130 and before I knew it, I was helping curious friends and neighbors. That was the beginning of a long and exciting career founding and directing Diet Masters, teaching dieting classes and low calorie cooking and even self publishing 6 dieting books. Best of all, my weight has been stable between 124 and 129 for 39 years while I eat food that I enjoy.

THIS BLOG WILL BE EVEN MORE INTERESTING WITH INPUT FROM MY READERS. EMAIL ME WITH YOUR QUESTIONS OR SUBJECTS YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO COVER AT: ADVICE@LOSEWITHLOUISE.COM, AND I WILL ANSWER SOME OF THEM HERE.

Sunday, February 12, 2012

LOUISE, ARE YOU STAYING SLIM SINCE YOU RETIRED?

The answer is a YES in bold letters and I will explain how.  I still get on the scale every day and am careful that it does not go ' under 122 in the morning'.  I do not have to diet at this point and I can allow myself some treats from time to time.  My appetite is moderately small and since I have not binged in the 40 years that I was teaching my Diet Masters program, staying trim is easy.

I still order dressing on the side with salads and enjoy steamed and roasted vegetables.  I almost always have a starch three times a day.  If I go to Panera's Bread I might split the 420 calorie braided almond danish or even occasionally order the cinnamon crunch bagel without butter or cream cheese which is 510 calories and eat the whole thing.
At Snapper's restaurant in Boynton I always order the fried fish for lunch and "do it my way."
The menu reads fried fish and shrimp.  The shrimp are tiny and I order it without the shrimp.  They give me an extra piece of fish. I get the salad with dressing on the side, have a little ketchup instead of tartar sauce, eat part of the yellow rice, and do not eat the rolls unless I am in mood for one.
I bring a small zippered take-out  container with two small ice packs and a plastic bag. My sweet husband has the fish and rice for his dinner so this is a "win,win" day for me.

3 comments:

  1. I am a witness that you are true to yourself and your scale! When I visit Florida, I see you in action. Weight maintenance is a lifelong job, but it pays off in good health and great appearance. You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to get comments and wish I had more..This one put a smile on my face...Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just for your kind words I will furnish you with my recipe for tartar sauce..Regular tartar sauce is about 90 calories a tablespoon and most people use four times that. Just drain some sweet pickled relish and put one tablespoon of relish in a small cup and mix it with two tablespoons of Hellmann's low fat mayo that is 15 calories a tablespoon. The total calories for the three tablespoons are only 50 calories.

    ReplyDelete