DIET MASTERS

DIETMASTERS


MY YEARS AS A FOOD ADDICT

I was a heavy eater by the time I was 5 years old, only it was called a "healthy appetite" in those days, and they called me cute and chubby. By the time I was 18 I was a compulsive overeater. At 5'6", my weight ranged between 125 to 149, but only because I spent part of almost every month on some diet or another. I must have gained and lost more than 500 pounds on various crash diets before I turned 40.I could eat 3 half gallons of ice cream a week and 3 candy bars at the movies. At my favorite Oriental buffet I would start with 6 egg rolls and fill my plate (and myself) so much that the owners lost money. No matter what diet I tried, I dreamed of my next “fix”… boxes of cookies, bags of potato chips or maybe a whole pizza.I’ve always been an upbeat person with a good marriage, two children, and close friends, but on my 40th birthday I was feeling depressed. I took a walk on the beach and realized that my compulsive eating had to stop. I decided that I wanted peace more than pizza and vowed to put my extensive dieting knowledge to work. I re-read all of my material on the subject and designed a way of eating that would satisfy me and finally curb my appetite. My determination paid off in spades and changed my life. The numbers on the scale remained below 130 and before I knew it, I was helping curious friends and neighbors. That was the beginning of a long and exciting career founding and directing Diet Masters, teaching dieting classes and low calorie cooking and even self publishing 6 dieting books. Best of all, my weight has been stable between 124 and 129 for 39 years while I eat food that I enjoy.

THIS BLOG WILL BE EVEN MORE INTERESTING WITH INPUT FROM MY READERS. EMAIL ME WITH YOUR QUESTIONS OR SUBJECTS YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO COVER AT: ADVICE@LOSEWITHLOUISE.COM, AND I WILL ANSWER SOME OF THEM HERE.

Sunday, August 5, 2012

THE NEWEST ITEM ON SUBWAY'S MENU: HOT PASTRAMI

SUBWAYS HAS BEEN ADVERTISING THEIR TEMPTING NEW HOT PASTRAMI SANDWICHES.  I ORDERED A 12 INCH ONE FOR MY HUSBAND AND I TO SHARE AT HOME. THE MEAT LOOKED VERY LEAN IN THE TELEVISION AD.


You are going to love the rest of the story.  When the upbeat and patient young man  waited on me, he asked the usual questions: such as the type of bread, and what kind of cheese did I want  and should he heat it.  All was going smoothly until I looked at the very fatty meat he was ready to put on it.  It looked 'nothing like their tempting commercials. There was almost as much white fat in the pastrami as there was red.  I asked him to be kind enough to make it a ham and cheese instead. We enjoyed it when we came home. It was really delicious.


                          HOW DOES THE DIET LADY ORDER AND EAT A SUB?


I order a 12 inch sandwich without oil and mayo. I have it with lean ham or sliced turkey and cheese. If I am going to eat it there, I have mustard on the bread. My husband and I share it, and I often leave the second half of my half unless I am hungry.  I save it for  later in the day or give it to him.  Needless to say, I have them put lettuce, tomatoes and onions on the sandwich. 


I just looked at the napkin they included that has the calories listed. A 6" sub with ham and vegetables would have been 280 calories.  Two cheese triangles totaled 40 calories and the mustard only 5 calories. They have several choices that are about the same calories.


You have to be aware that if you had eaten the whole sandwich with oil and mayo (which they are very liberal with) it would have tallied in at a total of  well over 1,000 calories.







                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment