DIET MASTERS

DIETMASTERS


MY YEARS AS A FOOD ADDICT

I was a heavy eater by the time I was 5 years old, only it was called a "healthy appetite" in those days, and they called me cute and chubby. By the time I was 18 I was a compulsive overeater. At 5'6", my weight ranged between 125 to 149, but only because I spent part of almost every month on some diet or another. I must have gained and lost more than 500 pounds on various crash diets before I turned 40.I could eat 3 half gallons of ice cream a week and 3 candy bars at the movies. At my favorite Oriental buffet I would start with 6 egg rolls and fill my plate (and myself) so much that the owners lost money. No matter what diet I tried, I dreamed of my next “fix”… boxes of cookies, bags of potato chips or maybe a whole pizza.I’ve always been an upbeat person with a good marriage, two children, and close friends, but on my 40th birthday I was feeling depressed. I took a walk on the beach and realized that my compulsive eating had to stop. I decided that I wanted peace more than pizza and vowed to put my extensive dieting knowledge to work. I re-read all of my material on the subject and designed a way of eating that would satisfy me and finally curb my appetite. My determination paid off in spades and changed my life. The numbers on the scale remained below 130 and before I knew it, I was helping curious friends and neighbors. That was the beginning of a long and exciting career founding and directing Diet Masters, teaching dieting classes and low calorie cooking and even self publishing 6 dieting books. Best of all, my weight has been stable between 124 and 129 for 39 years while I eat food that I enjoy.

THIS BLOG WILL BE EVEN MORE INTERESTING WITH INPUT FROM MY READERS. EMAIL ME WITH YOUR QUESTIONS OR SUBJECTS YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO COVER AT: ADVICE@LOSEWITHLOUISE.COM, AND I WILL ANSWER SOME OF THEM HERE.

Thursday, September 20, 2012

GLORIA: A TRUE SUCCESS STORY

WHEN A REPORTER WANTED TO WRITE AN ARTICLE ABOUT DIET MASTERS  IN 2007 SHE  REQUESTED THAT I FURNISH HER WITH  THE NAMES OF A FEW MEMBERS THAT  SHE COULD CONTACT WHO HAD BEEN SUCCESSFUL IN LOSING WEIGHT.

The following letter was written by Gloria R. who lived in Boynton Beach, Florida in a community called  Coral Lakes.  I came across a letter she sent to the reporter, Loretta Grantham.

Dear Loretta,

One day in 2000 I went to my eye doctor to get some surgery done.  His nurse had a picture of herself on her desk.  It was taken when she was very overweight.  I asked this slender woman how she had lost all of that weight.  She mentioned that she had attended classes at a Group called Diet Masters. The nurse gave me a card from Diet Masters and the owner and lecturer Louise Lawhon answered the phone when I called. She seemed to take a personal interest in me.

I joined Diet Masters the next week and found the diet  to be very easy to follow because it included foods that I enjoyed and I was was never really hungry while I was on it.  It took me 6 months to lose 46 pounds.

The biggest problem I have always had on the various diets that I  tried was keeping the weight off once I reached my goal. This time it was different.  I formed some really good habits.  It's a way of life now. 
Sincerely,
Gloria R., age 67

Note from Louise:  What prompted me to choose this material to post today is that a picture of Gloria was in my local paper looking trim and very pretty with a group of equally attractive ladies who plan and participate in shows at their community.  This is  5 years since the news story appeared.  There was one change in her appearance:  she became a blond.  I called her and we had a great chat, reminiscing.




No comments:

Post a Comment